Saturday 19 - Sunday 20 May 2018
|Tickets£250 for tuition for each full weekend|
Are you an experienced director but would like to advance your skills in directing a Shakespeare play? Would you like to feel more confident working with Shakespeare’s texts? Would you be interested in exploring how the relationship between Shakespeare’s texts and an actor’s voice and body can inform your choices as a director?
These workshops offer just 12 directors a chance to join Globe experts in a series of masterclasses. They focus on approaches to preparing and rehearsing Shakespeare’s plays in the Globe Theatre and the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse.
More courses will be announced over the summer. Check back soon for more information...
Directing Studio runs across one weekend:
Saturday 19 May
10.00am – 4.30pm
Sunday 20 May
10.00am – 6.00pm
The weekend comprises of five main sessions:
An Actor’s Perspective:
- Led by a Globe Actor who has experience of playing in the candlelit conditions of the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse, participants will practically explore the challenges and opportunities presented when performing in this space.
A Director Prepares
- This session explores the processes of research and preparation of a production, including conceiving the world of the play with a designer, casting and rehearsal planning.
Text and Language
- A practical analysis of language, examining the use of prose, verse and rhetorical devices in Shakespeare’s plays.
- A Voice expert will explore the variety of ways in which voice and vocal training may be used to inform performance choices, with some emphasis on the unique acoustical properties of the Globe Theatre and the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse.
Movement in the Theatre
- A Movement Director will lead an exploration focusing upon the relationship of the actor’s body to the theatre space and the play text.
For more information on the content, download the Directing Studio Syllabus.
At least one session will take place on the stage of the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse.
This course will be invaluable for anyone with previous experience of directing a production. Previous experience of directing Shakespeare is not required.
This course is strictly for directors with experience of directing a full production. We regret that we cannot offer places to individuals whose directing experience to date has been within a school. Please complete the application form for Globe Education to confirm you are eligible to attend the course; this is available in the Downloads section on the right of this page. Once your eligibility has been approved you will need to purchase a ticket to secure your place.
To apply, please submit your application form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Places will be offered to the first 12 suitable applicants. You will be informed of your place within 3 working days.
If you are an actor who would be interested in hearing more about our Voice, Movement and Text studios, please click here to email us.