Young Academics' Summer School
Monday 13 August – Friday 17 August 2018
Please Note: Places on our ‘Young Academics’ Summer School’ are now fully booked, but there are still spaces available on our ‘Young Actors’ Summer Schools’ and ‘Shakespeare’s Globe Summer School ‘. If you would like to be put on the waiting list for ‘Young Academics’ in case more places become available, please email LearningEnquiries@shakespearesglobe.com to register your interest.
The Young Academics' Summer School is a one week immersive course particularly suited to students who are going on to study English Literature at university. You will work with leading academics, actors and dramaturges and will explore the social, political and cultural context in which Shakespeare and his contemporaries were writing.
This is the perfect course if you are interested in deepening and enriching your understanding of Shakespeare and the unique spaces for which he wrote. It would be the ideal first step if you are looking to extend your interest and understanding of Elizabethan and Jacobean drama.
You will have the opportunity to see productions, participate in stimulating lectures and seminars and discuss Shakespeare’s influence on English Literature as a master of comedy, tragedy and history.
- watch and discuss Globe productions
- participate in Q&As with actors
- explore the Globe Theatre and Sam Wanamaker Playhouse
- work with leading Shakespeare practitioners and actors
- conduct in-depth textual analysis of Shakespeare's plays
- attend academic lectures and seminars at the Globe
- receive a certificate upon completion of the course
You are eligible to apply for the course if you:
- are aged 16 – 19
- have an interest in Shakespeare
- are able to travel to and from the Globe independently
- are able to provide your own accommodation
- have a level of confidence in English which will enable you to cope with close analysis of Shakespeare’s language
Course fees: £800
Fees include all tuition and tickets to Globe productions. Fees do not include meals and refreshments, travel or accommodation.
All participants under the age of 18 must have the consent of a parent or guardian.
If you have any questions regarding the course or your application, please firstname.lastname@example.org
or telephone 020 7902 1478