‘I won't feel daunted by Shakespeare again.’
'This course has made me more confident for my university application and the interview process. What I have learned about how Shakespeare wrote for the Globe will affect any performance I give and play I see in the future.'
Studying Shakespeare Summer School
The Studying Shakespeare Summer School is a one week immersive course particulary suited to students who are going on to study English Literature at university. Students will work with leading academics, actors and dramaturges and will explore the social, political and cultural context in which Shakespeare and his contemporaries were writing.
This is the perfect course for students who are interested in deepening and enriching their understanding of Shakespeare and the unique spaces for which he wrote and would be the ideal first step for those looking to extend their interest and understanding of Elizabethan and Jacobean drama.
Students will have the opportunity to see productions, participate in stimulating lectures and seminars and discuss Shakespeare’s influence on English Literature as a master of comedy, tragedy and history.
- watch and discuss Globe productions
- participate in Q&As with actors
- explore the Theatre and Sam Wanamaker Playhouse
- work with leading Shakespeare practitioners and actors
- study in-depth text analysis of Shakespeare plays
- attend academic lectures and seminars at the Globe
- receive a certificate upon completion of the course
- explore our fantastic new indoor Jacobean theatre, the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse
You are eligible to apply for the course if you:
- are aged 16 – 19
- have an interest in Shakespeare
- are able to travel to and from the Globe independently
- are able to provide your own accommodation
- have a level of confidence in English which will enable you to cope with close analysis of Shakespeare’s language
Course fees: £750*
Fees include all tuition and tickets to Globe Productions. Fees do not include meals and refreshments, travel or accommodation.
All participants under the age of 18 must have the consent of a parent or guardian.
*2015 Course fees may be subject to change.
Our summer schools run every July and August, although the exact dates vary from year to year. For more information or to register your interest, please contact us by email or by telephone on 020 7902 1463.