Weekly tasks and challenges designed to give you an insight into real careers in the arts
- Jump to
- Design a poster
WEEK 1: POSTER BRIEF
At Shakespeare’s Globe, our marketing and design teams often collaborate together to create eye-catching posters.
You will see them outside the theatre and all around London. Maybe on your walk to school or on the tube; keep an eye out to see if you spot any!
We would like you to design a poster for the upcoming production of Macbeth.
The audience for this production will mainly be schools and young people from across London and Birmingham, so the mood boards must connect to them. The play was written several hundred years ago, but you can choose any setting you think will engage your audience. Our production is contemporary, but you can take inspiration from any time period or anywhere you choose.
When a play is planned by a theatre-like Shakespeare’s Globe, an important task is to prepare an eye-catching poster to advertise the production and also to form the cover for the programme.
You will find a range of poster designs for this production on this page.
1. Choose one of the posters and use sticky notes to show how you think the images, the colours and the words used link to the play.
2. Now design your own poster for the play. Remember that your poster will need to be eye-catching and provide an idea of what happens in the play.
TOP 5 TIPS FOR DESIGNING A POSTER
1. You need to make it impactful so that it immediately grabs the attention of the viewer.
2. You need to be as bold and creative as possible so that it is unique from any competition.
3. You need to make sure that all the information can be read clearly so that no important details about dates or times are lost.
4. You need to think about who the poster is aimed for and therefore target it for that particular market.
5. You need to consider the subject matter for your poster. So you need to research the topic and understand it before you begin designing.
You can choose how you would prefer to design and present your poster, either by hand or on a computer.
Take a photograph of your hand-made design or share a JPEG/PDF with us on social media. Tag us on Twitter and Instagram @The_Globe and use #PlayingShakespeare so we can see your entries. We will select some of our favourites to reshare on social media and on our website.
POSTER DESIGN FOR MACBETH 2020
During the design process, lots of images will be collated into a mood board for inspiration. Alternative poster designs are created and reviewed until one is picked as the best representative of the production. But don’t worry the other designs aren’t wasted, you will see some of these images have been used in the programme and all-around this website.