Share this product
Shakespeare's Globe Twelfth Night DVD
The Globe Theatre's 2012 production of Twelfth Night.
One of Shakespeare's best-loved comedies. Twelfth Night was 'blissfully reborn' (The Daily Telegraph) for the 2012/2013 season at the Globe Theatre, under the direction of Tim Carroll. the hilarious tale of misdirection and deception is performed here by an all-male cast, as it would have been in Shakespeare's day, with Mark Rylance playing Olivia and Roger Lloyd Pack as the hapless Sir Andrew Aguecheek. The production also marks Stephen Fry's triumphant return to the stage as the pompous Malvolio, ridiculous in his yellow stockings.
Filmed in High Definition and true surround sound. Spoken in Shakespeare's English with English and German subtitles. An all-male Original Practices production.
Plays in All Regions
Director: Tim Carroll
Designer: Jenny Tiramani
Composer: Claire van Kampen
Choreographer: Sian Williams
Directed for the screen by: Ian Russell
DVD producer: James Whitbourn
- BJ Fleshman, Maine
- I was most fortunate to attend Twelfth Night at the Belasko theatre on Broadway in January 2014, but alas was not able to see Richard III. While the DVD for Twelfth Night has brought back the most exceptional performances I have had the pleasure to experience on Broadway, I am hoping that a DVD of Rylance's Richard III will also be made available. This DVD has captured the performances perfectly and is a must even for those who have seen the play live.
- Larry R., New York City
- This must be the same production that is currently (December 2013) playing on Broadway with Mark Rylance as Olivia but with Sam Barnett as Viola. It is certainly the best Twelfth Night I've experienced, and even if I don't get to see it live once again, I can buy the DVD.
- Hiltrud Mueller, Berlin
- Thanks a lot for revival of most enjoyable memories to Globe productions in the cosy wooden O theatre - Twelfth Night here is so lively as if I had been there wondering and laughing again, and I can share here with those who were not able to visit - thanks so much
- Diana Lee, Seoul
- Two words: Mark Rylance. As a resident in Seoul far away from London, I was both excited and a bit dejected that the Twelfth Night was to be performed at the Globe. I couldn't afford to hop on a plane to see the performance. I ravenously read all the reviews but they were simply not enough! I needed to see the performance with my own eyes. Though vicarious it was, this DVD has quenched my thirst. I've never seen Mr. Rylance's performance before, but he made me enchanted by Olivia which was one of the least attractive character for my taste. All the other casts are superb too. The best purchase, ever.
- Paul Bowden, Hertfordshire
- I was one of the lucky few to catch this production at The Globe, spellbinding performances throughout. Fifth time I have seen the play live and the best by far. Can't wait to relive it again with the DVD release and to send to my friends overseas.
- Monica Guerrieri, New York City
- Last year I traveled from New York to London specifically to visit the Globe (and more specifically) to see the staggeringly talented Mr. Rylance perform. It was beyond dazzling. I was lucky to experience many beautiful sites and sounds in London, but the highlight for me was surely the Globe.
- Barry Martin, Southend
- Mark Rylance acts everybody off the stage (as usual) in this very enjoyable production. His Olivia's entrance - somewhat akin to an Elizabethan Dalek - is worth the price of admission alone. I personally found Stephen Fry's Malvolio rather colourless, and not as pompous and dislikeable as the character demands. Overall though, the cast is fine, and it's well worth seeing regardless of any reservations.
- Sue Hirst, Oxfordshire
- I feel privileged to have seen this production, albeit at the highly successful cinema distribution. It was superb as was the following showing of The Taming of the Shrew. Pure enjoyment and well worth buying.