OUR THEATRE 2014
Our Theatre 2014:
A Celebration of Shakespeare’s Life and Works
Thanks to the generous support of PwC, we are delighted to announce that Our Theatre will once again be taking place at Shakespeare’s Globe at 1pm on Thursday 27 February 2014.
The project is a celebration of the creativity and achievements of Southwark students and teachers and is free to all participating schools. Each group (a maximum of 35 students) from participating schools will work with a Globe Education Practitioner over fifteen weeks across two school terms to devise and rehearse a scene selected in consultation with their class teacher.
This year, ‘Our Theatre’ celebrates the life and work of Shakespeare though an exploration of the ‘All the world’s a stage’ speech from ‘As You Like It’:
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages.
In line with National Curriculum Guidelines Our Theatre will encourage students to become:
- successful learners who enjoy learning, make progress and achieve.
- confident individuals who are able to work successfully in a team.
- responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to their community.
The project will:
- enable teachers and support staff to cultivate an enhanced repertoire of teaching skills.
- support teaching staff in greater understanding and appreciation of Shakespeare’s plays.
- develop a range of drama techniques to use when interpreting text and teaching Shakespeare to children of all ages.
Globe Education is committed to ensuring our work is accessible to the Southwark Community and this forms a core part of the selection process. As a result we endeavour to select groups and schools that represent the whole of the borough, as well as considering whether groups and schools have applied and participated in previous years, what other project work the group or school is doing with the Globe, and in consultation with our funders.
Please note the application deadline for the 2014 Our Theatre has now expired and applications will no longer be accepted.
If you have any queries about the project, please contact Alice Watson: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0207 902 1435.