By Thomas Middleton & William Rowley
15 January – 1 March
£60 premium tickets
2 hrs 45 mins
Claire van Kampen
Peter Hamilton Dyer
Jasperino / Pedro
Her fingers touched me! She smells all amber.
The beautiful Beatrice-Joanna loves Alsemero, but she’s betrothed to another. So her fiancé must die – not by her hand, of course, but by that of the repulsive servant De Flores. Unfortunately it’s not money De Flores claims as his reward, but sex – and with the sweet virgin Beatrice-Joanna herself.
Charged with Middleton’s ferocious dramatic irony, and leavened by Rowley’s wild comic sub-plot, nothing in English drama comes near to this tale of a liaison based on repulsion and fascination. In fact, with its ghosts, dumb shows, scenes of Bedlam, and atmosphere of depraved violence, The Changeling runs the gamut of the Jacobean stage.
'A fine-tuned revival by Dominic Dromgoole... a chillingly good performance from Hattie Morahan'
'As she showed in A Doll’s House, Morahan can go to enormous extremes without appearing to work too hard. She’s extraordinary. Likewise Gravelle makes De Flores thoroughly creepy…'
'It seethes with menace... Hattie Morahan brings a mix of regal wilfulness and wayward vulnerability to her role'
'A winningly dark cackle at the futility of romantic endeavour'
'Unforgettably primal... Dominic Dromgoole delivers an incandescent revival... Hattie Morahan is turning in another golden performance...'
The Daily Telegraph
'The Globe does it proper, enjoyable, unpleasant justice'
'It is hard after this to think of The Changeling being staged in another theatre'
'Dromgoole makes excellent use of the Wanamaker’s candlelit stage'
Please note: tickets for all related events are sold separately to tickets for performances.
Pre-show introductions by Globe scholars, illustrated by Globe actors
Tuesday 20 January
Tuesday 17 February
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
- Wednesday 28 January, 7.30pm Limited availability
- Thursday 29 January, 7.30pm Limited availability
- Friday 30 January, 7.30pm Limited availability
- Saturday 31 January, 2.30pm Limited availability
- Saturday 31 January, 7.30pm Limited availability
- Sunday 1 February, 7.30pm Limited availability
- Wednesday 4 February, 7.30pm Sold out
- Thursday 5 February, 2.30pm Limited availability
- Thursday 5 February, 7.30pm Sold out
- Saturday 7 February, 2.30pm Limited availability
- Sunday 8 February, 7.30pm Limited availability
- Tuesday 10 February, 7.30pm Limited availability
- Friday 13 February, 2.30pm Limited availability
- Sunday 15 February, 2.30pm Limited availability
- Sunday 15 February, 7.30pm Limited availability
- Tuesday 17 February, 7.30pm Sold out
- Thursday 19 February, 2.30pm Limited availability
- Saturday 21 February, 2.30pm Limited availability
- Thursday 26 February, 2.30pm Limited availability
- Saturday 28 February, 2.30pm Limited availability
- Sunday 1 March, 2.30pm Limited availability
- Sunday 1 March, 7.30pm Limited availability