Farinelli and the King
By Claire van Kampen
11 February – 8 March
£60 premium tickets
Doctor Jose Cervi
De la Cuadra
Iestyn Davies and William Purefoy
History is bejewelled with mysteries.
Italy, 1731. Farinelli, the world’s most famous castrato, is rich, adored and lauded with honours. His divine voice has the power to captivate all who hear it.
Spain, 1737. King Philippe V lies awake. The Queen, desperate to relieve her husband of his insomnia and depression, begs the castrato to come and sing to the king. The effect is transformational. Philippe is healed, held captive by Farinelli’s voice – but so is Farinelli…
This intriguing true story is re-told in Claire van Kampen’s sumptuous new play, replete with many of the arias first sung by Farinelli.
For sold out performances, returned tickets are sold in order to a returns queue one hour before the start of the performance, for cash only (maximum two per person). We cannot guarantee there will be any returned tickets for any particular performance.
Please note: Celebrated counter tenor Iestyn Davies will sing the part of Farinelli for 10 performances while William Purefoy will take on the role for 6 performances.
Iestyn Davies will perform:
11, 12, 18, 20, 22, 23, 24, 26 and 28 February and 2 March
William Purefoy will perform:
14 February and 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 March
You might also like
Iestyn Davies will return to the Playhouse on 9 May, when he joins Arcangelo - one of the world's leading ensembles - for an intimate performance of music by Bach, Albinoni and Telemann.
Join the Conversation
- Wednesday 11 February, 7.30pm Sold out
- Thursday 12 February, 7.30pm Sold out
- Saturday 14 February, 7.30pm Sold out
- Wednesday 18 February, 7.30pm Sold out
- Friday 20 February, 7.30pm Sold out
- Sunday 22 February, 2.30pm Sold out
- Monday 23 February, 7.30pm Sold out
- Tuesday 24 February, 7.30pm Sold out
- Thursday 26 February, 7.30pm Sold out
- Saturday 28 February, 7.30pm Sold out
- Monday 2 March, 7.30pm Sold out
- Wednesday 4 March, 7.30pm Sold out
- Thursday 5 March, 2.30pm Sold out
- Friday 6 March, 7.30pm Sold out
- Saturday 7 March, 7.30pm Sold out
- Sunday 8 March, 2.30pm Sold out