The Broken Heart
12 March - 18 April
Written by John Ford
£25 - £45 seats
£60 premium tickets
approx. 2 hours 45 minutes including interval
Peter Hamilton Dyer
The lifeless trunk shall wed the broken heart.
The scene is ancient Sparta and the loving couple Penthea and Orgilus are forced apart by her brother and Penthea is pressed into a loveless marriage with a brutal and jealous old man. Orgilus, disguised as a poor scholar, watches, waits, and as events unfold, unleashes a terrible cycle of revenge.
Ford’s very modern fascination with psychology and mental extremes are found everywhere in this brilliantly nuanced story of an exalted love struggling to exist in a world of selfishness, jealousy and tawdry court politics.
'Stunning... a dark gem'
'Once more the exquisite surroundings of the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse provide a backdrop for the most craven of emotions in this witty, assured revival of John Ford’s turbulent classic'
'Strong performances come from Luke Thompson as hot-headed Ithocles and Brian Ferguson as the increasingly sour Orgilus. The highlight is Owen Teale, who revels in the comic grotesqueness of Bassanes'
'This densely plotted story of love, honour, revenge and silent grief has moments of real emotional intensity'
‘Caroline Steinbeis’s playful production is full of fresh performances and unexpected wit’
'A vivid and enjoyable evening... dark, imaginative fun'
'A production that rather gloriously surprises'
The Arts Desk
Please note: tickets for all related events are sold separately to tickets for performances.
Pre-show introductions by Globe scholars, illustrated by Globe actors
Tuesday 31 March
Tuesday 14 April
Join the Conversation
- Wednesday 1 April, 7.30pm Limited availability
- Thursday 2 April, 2.30pm Book tickets
- Thursday 2 April, 7.30pm Book tickets
- Friday 3 April, 7.30pm Book tickets
- Saturday 4 April, 2.30pm Book tickets
- Saturday 4 April, 7.30pm Book tickets
- Sunday 5 April, 7.30pm Book tickets
- Tuesday 7 April, 7.30pm Limited availability
- Wednesday 8 April, 7.30pm Limited availability
- Saturday 11 April, 7.30pm Book tickets
- Sunday 12 April, 2.30pm Book tickets
- Sunday 12 April, 7.30pm Book tickets
- Tuesday 14 April, 7.30pm Book tickets
- Wednesday 15 April, 7.30pm Limited availability
- Thursday 16 April, 2.30pm Book tickets
- Friday 17 April, 2.30pm Book tickets
- Friday 17 April, 7.30pm Limited availability
- Saturday 18 April, 7.30pm Limited availability